- Energy Facts:
- or how do you grock a giga
- To lock up the 8 billion tons of carbon released into the
atmosphere each year would require planting a forest 4 times
the area of the United States.
- In spite of a stated policy originating from the United Nations
Framework Convention on Climate Change in 1992 to reduce carbon
emissions in the US to 1990 levels by the Year 2000,
emissions have increased at 1.3%
per year over the same period.
- In order to meet its increased demand for electricity, China
plans on building new coal fired power plants that will triple
its coal consumption in the next 25 years.
- There are the equivalent of 500 1000 megawatt power plants
in the U.S. In order to fuel just one standard 1000 megawatt
power plant with wood, on a sustainable basis, requires a forest
plantation of roughly 1,500 square miles.
- If present consumption continues, by 2025, 2/3 of the world's
population will live in areas with insufficient water to meet
- Giga = 109or 1,000,000,000
- Tera = 1012 or 1,000,000,000,000
- kg. = kilogram = 2.20 pounds
- tonne or metric tonne is 1,000 kilograms or 2,205 lb. or
- mmt = million metric tonnes